David J. Buckley has practiced law on Nantucket since 2017. Mr. Buckley, who was born and raised on island, practices primarily in the areas of real estate, tax, and business law. Prior to returning to Nantucket, Mr. Buckley practiced law at a mid-sized law firm based in Hartford, Connecticut, where he gained significant experience in complex business, real estate, and lending transactions. Mr. Buckley has authored numerous legal articles and presented to professional groups on various legal topics, including entity selection for startup businesses and advanced strategies with like-kind exchanges under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code. In addition, Mr. Buckley has appeared on NPR’s Morning Edition and the Planet Money Podcast, discussing tax and corporate law matters. Mr. Buckley was named as a Super Lawyer "Rising Star" in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, and 2021. Mr. Buckley is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Montessori Children's House of Nantucket.
Admissions and Memberships
Mr. Buckley is member of the Massachusetts Bar and the Connecticut Bar. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court. Mr. Buckley is a member of the Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts.
Mr. Buckley earned a B.A. degree from the University of Massachusetts Amherst where he was a member of the University’s honors program and where he graduated cum laude. The University of Connecticut School of Law awarded him a J.D., with Honors and a Certificate in Tax Studies. While in law school Mr. Buckley was a Dean's Scholar and served as an intern at the University of Connecticut School of Law Tax Clinic, where he represented taxpayers in IRS administrative proceedings and assisted the Clinic in its representation of taxpayers before the U.S. Tax Court. Mr. Buckley received the Morris Pomp Tax Prize, which is awarded to a graduating law student who has completed the tax certificate program with the highest grade point average in tax coursework.
In his free time, Mr. Buckley enjoys spending time exploring Nantucket with his wife and two young sons. Prior to starting his legal career, Mr. Buckley built numerous houses on Nantucket with his father, a respected local builder. In 2004, Mr. Buckley completed the National Outdoor Leadership School’s Semester in Chilean Patagonia (mountaineering and sea kayaking). Mr. Buckley has also completed two cross-continent motorcycle trips, solo in 2001 and partnered in 2005.
Selected Publications and Appearances
• Speaker, "Business Entity Selection and Other Considerations for Startup Businesses on Nantucket," Nantucket Island Center for Entrepreneurship (NICE) / Nantucket Island Chamber of Commerce, Nantucket, Massachusetts, March 9, 2020
• Speaker, "Advanced Topics in Real Estate Exchanges," Quinnipiac Tax Conference, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, Connecticut, June 30, 2016
• Speaker, "Like-Kind Exchanges under Section 1031," The Semi-Annual Sacred Heart University Tax Institute, Fairfield, Connecticut, June 24, 2016
• Mentioned, NPR's Planet Money Podcast, Episode 703, Originally aired May 27, 2016
• Speaker, "The IRS's Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures," The Semi-Annual Sacred Heart University Tax Institute, Fairfield, Connecticut, December 4, 2015
• Speaker, Connecticut Society of CPAs, Easton, Connecticut, April 23, 2015
• Speaker, "FBAR and FATCA Information Reporting and Options for Correcting Non-Compliance," Connecticut Society of CPAs, IRS Working Together Conference, October 30, 2014
• Contributing author: "A Practical Guide to Organizing a Business in Connecticut," MCLE/NE Publications (1st Edition, 2013)
• Featured, NPR's Morning Edition, "Most People Are Supposed To Pay This Tax. Almost Nobody Actually Pays It," Originally aired April 16, 2013
• Guest-lecturer, "Tax Treatment of Intellectual Property Litigation Costs and Awards," University of Connecticut School of Law, March 7, 2013
• Featured, NPR's Planet Money Podcast, "Episode 426: The Rest of the Story (2012 Edition)," Originally aired December 28, 2012
• Speaker, "FATCA For Everyone Else - How FATCA Impacts Taxpayers That Are Not Financial Institutions," Connecticut Society of CPAs, Tax 360 Conference, November 27, 2012
• Featured, NPR's Morning Edition, "The Downside of Tax Havens? Paperwork," Originally aired September 21, 2012
• Featured, NPR's Planet Money Podcast, "Episode 403: What Can We Do With Our Shell Companies?" Originally aired September 18, 2012
• "BIRD Foundation Offers JV Opportunities," International M&A and Joint Ventures Committee Newsletter, ABA Section of International Law, April 13, 2012
• "International M&A and Joint Ventures; United States (Year in Review: 2011)" The International Lawyer, Vol. 46, No. 1 (Spring 2012)